Police Tasered a Man 9 Times Until He Died Then Deleted Video: Report
GREENBELT, Md. (CN) – The family of a Maryland man who died after being Tasered by police nine times over at least 37 seconds has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against Montgomery County and the two officers involved.
The use of Tasers by police in Maryland has come under stiff scrutiny as officers have been accused of not following the manufacturer’s recommendations for the weapons, which fires electrified darts into suspects.
Police have been accused of deploying the weapons for more than 15 seconds and have used the devices on nonviolent or mentally unstable victims.
According to the lawsuit filed in the District of Maryland on Oct. 13., when police arrived at the cul-de-sac in the Washington suburb of Gaithersburg, Maryland, they found Anthony Howard Sr., 51, dancing barefoot on an SUV as a crowd of bystanders, who recorded the 2013 incident, can be heard laughing and joking.
Montgomery County Police Officers Alexander Patapis and Dana Russell first attempted to subdue Howard with pepper spray.
But after one of the officers mistakenly deployed the spray on himself the crowd began to taunt officers and urged them to use their Tasers on Howard.
In a 17-minute video of the incident obtained by the Baltimore Sun during an investigation into police use of Tasers, Howard is seen backing up to the door of a townhome, noncompliant but was not threatening the two officers, when they deployed their weapons at the same time — also against the Taser’s recommendation.
According to the Baltimore Sun, Howard’s family initially sought civil action against Montgomery County, but dropped their efforts when police refused to turn over video evidence.
Several bystanders who recorded the incident said that when police returned their phones the videos had been erased.
Howard’s family seeks $400 million in damages.
A representative of the Montgomery County Police department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Howard’s family is represented by Jason Downs with Murphy, Falcon & Murphy in Baltimore, who did not immediately respond to request for comment.
Published by Courthouse News Service.
You might also like
Anon News The Pentagon paid a UK PR firm half a billion dollars to create fake terrorist videos in Iraq in a secret propaganda campaign exposed by the Bureau of
Emma Gannon | Courthouse News Service DENVER (CN) — Fort Collins, Colorado, cannot ban women from exposing their breasts in public, a federal judge ruled Wednesday. Free the Nipple sued the city
UPDATE: 10/28 Yes, the comment sections on Hillary’s page have only intensified with scathing critiques. At this point it looks like not even her paid operatives can manipulate popular
“Satanic Cult” said to be involved in reports of Sir Edward Heath’s sexual abuse of children. A police chief has just come forward and confirmed that a former Prime Minister
Pentagon: Bombing ‘Doctors Without Borders’ Hospital and Killing Innocent Staff Inside is “Not a War Crime”
Adam Klasfeld | Courthouse News Service (CN) — Stopping short of labeling the airstrike a war crime, a Pentagon report on the October bombing of a Doctors Without Borders hospital
“I think it’s important to recognize that the political and diplomatic efforts of the past 20 years to bring North Korea to the point of denuclearization have failed,” said
‘I’m gonna f*** you like a good little boy…[Emoji smiling face]” That is just part of one of the messages that State Senator Shortey sent to a child, according to reports. P0lice
March 25, 2017 Families have brought up the idea that police might be complicit in the many cases of missing DC girls. These families have been accused of spreading a
March 20, 2017 HUBBARD, OH – Now-former Mayor of Hubbard, Richard Keenan has pleaded guilty to raping a 4-yr-old child. The news emerges in parallel to arrests and investigations surrounding